Friday 25 October 2013

Jack Spratt - Season 2 Episode 5

Date: Friday 18th October 2013

Website: http://www.jack-spratt.co.uk/

Woah! What is this? Second review in the same week? Well you know, I like to spoil you guys! Nothing makes me happier than hearing about the Nurbites taking one of my recommendations.

So the past few weeks, I've been entertaining myself with YouTube videos such as The best of Phil Mitchell and Eastenders Pow Remix. This got me thinking that I need to get back to my roots, allow all these American and Asian places, and review a classic British joint. What better than this little gem on John Dalton Street, Jack Spratt.

I've actually been here a few times before. It was the reasonable prices of their set menus and the cool, laid back atmosphere that always drew me back. The environment does make it out that it is fine dining, but at the same time gives that British pub feel. The food has also always been decent, and again they didn't disappoint.

Firstly, I must say, service is always impeccable. They act like its their own restaurant, like they want to be there, which sometimes I don't get the impression at some other establishments. The restaurant always have a specials board which the waiter points out, so always worth taking a look before choosing your dish. The set menu offered is priced two courses for £13 or three for £17. They then have a further monthly specials menu (not the board) where dishes are individually priced.

So we began with the home made bread, which comes with some butters and oils. One of the butter sticks was infused with chili which was pretty great. The main I ordered was the lamb belly, which I haven't tried before, with my wife ordering the steak. The portions were skewed, hers quite big mine not so big, so I had to take some of her food (she wasn't impressed). Firstly, the lamb belly, it is like nothing I have tried before. You could tell it was lamb, but the texture was very different, quite juicy. The steak was a very, very good steak. We also asked for some peppercorn sauce which the chef specially prepared for us, with no extra charge. The steak also came with some incredible chunky chips. The chips for sure gets the 'melts in your mouth' stamp!

When the meal was over we actually hung for a while longer, conversing over the candle light. The restaurant sets the mood for a perfect evening with the atmosphere, but is also complemented with delicious food too. If you asked me where to take a girl on a first date, this place would be high on my list. If you do manage to pull by using my recommendations, think of me whilst doing the dirty.

I know for sure that this little place will be a regular for myself. If not for a steak then perhaps a cheeky burger!

8.5 out of 10 rating.